At 7:16pm Shrewsbury Volunteers along with a high risk first alarm assignment were dispatched to the Spirit Trust Lutheran facility for a reported structure fire. Engine 61-1 and Rescue 61 responded with 7 members. On arrival Chief 61 (Myers) assumed Shrewsbury Command and began investigating. There was no evacuation in progress on fire department arrival. Crews entered the building and staff members were still trying to find the source of an odor of smoke. During the investigation maintenance personnel discovered a fire in the laundry room. Engine 61-1’s crew used the interior stairs to get to the basement level while Engine 61-1, Tower 58 (Rose Fire Co) and Rescue 61 moved to the rear of the building to assist. The small fire was found in a commercial dryer and extinguished with a pressurized water extinguisher. Crew members checked for extension however no fire or damage was found outside of the dryer.
Maintenance personnel disconnected power to the damaged dryer and advised they will clean out the room. All units were placed in service as there was no need for smoke removal due to the internal air exhaust system.