ADULTS PLEASE REMEMBER:
Check your smoke detectors to make sure they are in working order and change the batteries when you change your clocks.
Make sure your house numbers are visible from the street.
Keep fire hydrants clear of weeds, snow, debris etc…
Have an escape plan for you and your family and practice it.
If you use candles please remember :
- Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Keep candles at least 1 foot away from things that can catch fire, like clothing, books and curtains.
- Use candle holders that are study, won’t tip over easily, are made from a material that cannot burn, and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
- Keep candles and all open flames away from flammable liquids.
- Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch and extinguish taper and pillar candles when they get to within two inches of the holder. Votives and containers should be extinguished before the last half-inch of wax starts to melt.
- During power outages, avoid carrying a lit candle. Use flashlights.
- NFPA discourages the use of candles in bedrooms and sleeping areas.