Shrewsbury Volunteers for years has been actively engaged with the public through the use of Social Media. Our department keeps the residents and those who follow us up to date with our incident responses, public interaction, weather updates, traffic issues and other items we feel would benefit those who keep track of us. Our primary methods of posting include this website (www.shrewsburyfire.com), Facebook Pages (Shrewsbury Volunteer Fire Company, Shrewsbury Firemans Carnival, Shrewsbury Fall Fest), and our Mobile App for Android/iOS (Shrewsbury Volunteer Fire Company). Through these applications we make every attempt to keep you informed.
Shrewsbury Volunteers have a strict social media policy. This policy binds all of our members to restrictions and requirements for posting any information. We have had this policy in place for many years and have had great success with our interaction via social media with our followers. A few items that are important to point out to the public regarding our posts. Businesses could now buy ig followers to gain more reach.
- We do not post photos of victims. The only time a patient/victim is published is with their written permission.
- We do not publish license plate numbers to keep identity concerns in check.
- Vehicles involved in accidents that have company logos or names on them are published as they are immediately visible to anyone who drives/walks by an incident. The only time we delay posting the name of a company is if a loss of life is involved. It is published once we know the police have notified the family.
- Members are not permitted to post incident pictures/videos unless it is cleared through designated officers. While we believe in “freedom of speech” members cannot post items representing Shrewsbury Volunteers without permission. This policy has been embraced and intact for over 7 years.
- At NO time are pictures taken by members that would result in the delay of care on an emergency response. This is important to know. Our department notifies the public as soon as possible of emergency events that could effect them. If you see pictures it was taken by someone who was not immediately involved in a fire attack/rescue situation/other parts of the emergency incident. We have members who cannot be involved in an incident due to training or other limitations. These members are extremely valuable to us for taking photographs/video while other members are engaged in the event. If you see pictures of our department actively working, be assured NO delay in care or actions occurred.
- With our Facebook page we welcome comments both good and bad. No one is perfect and as hard as we try sometimes we make a mistake. You can point it out however we have the right to remove offensive posts due to language, focused attacks on members or other statements not conducive to productive discussion. Repeated focused attacks will result in the person being banned from our page.
- Our mobile app keeps you up to date on our responses and at time emergency messages. We have the ability to send out pages through our app to alert you of impending emergencies. Tornado/Flood/Hurricane/Disaster messages can be sent out to alert followers of events that could immediately effect them.
Our staff at Shrewsbury Volunteers makes every effort to respond to messages via telephone, email and social media. If you have concerns regarding our department call us at 717-235-4476 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond as soon as we can. Remember, we are an all volunteer fire department. We make every effort to respond to your messages as quickly as we can limited by our availability only.
Shrewsbury Volunteers is grateful to the public for following us. We have over 6,500 Facebook followers and hundreds of app users. We strive to do the best we can to help our community and thank all who support us. Keep up to date using our app, Facebook pages (fire company, carnival page, fall fest page as well as special event pages from time to time) and through this website. Word of mouth is the best advertising and we hope your comments regarding our dedicated volunteers are favorable.
Feel free to stop by our department. We are at 21 W Forrest Avenue Shrewsbury, PA. We are always ready to show our department off during visits. Who know, maybe you can be part of our team. We are always looking for responders, administrative assistance and fundraising help to keep our department alive. We are here for you. Our motto is “Professionally Staffed by Volunteers”. We are Shrewsbury Volunteers, Station 61.